community-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: projects-vm
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2018 19:15:21 GMT
On 6 February 2018 at 16:58, Chris Lambertus <cml@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The machine “projects-vm” needs to be moved ASAP. It is one of the last few machines
on our extremely old VM hosts in OSU. I see that the configuration is mostly puppetized.

> Is there any local data on this system which needs to be preserved?

Here's what I know about; there may be other data I have overlooked.

The www-data crontab is not in puppet.

The apps update some data in SVN.
This makes changeover somewhat tricky if the data to avoid lost
updates (the data is used to generate changes, so multiple updaters
may cause problems).

It should be possible to set up the new system with SVN commits
disabled for testing.
When it is all working ready for changeover, disable the app cronjobs
on both systems; ensure that the old and new systems are in sync with
SVN and then restart the new apps.

I think there is some local caching of data that can be recreated.

There are lots of logs. I don't know if any of them contain info that
it still useful.

==

Also I have some scripts etc in my home dir most of which I would like
to retain.
I imagine other logins might also.

> I will be setting up projects-vm2 to take over the role. Currently, I see the following
DNS associated with the machine:

> - reporter.a.o
> - projects-new.a.o
> - projects.a.o
>
> Is there anything else?
>
> Who will be my point of contact for migrating any data and testing the services on the
new system?

What is the timescale?