community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Quick Update about FOSDEM 2018
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2018 14:11:24 GMT
Thank you so much for all of your hard work on making this happen. Every
time I was up at the table, it was very busy, and people were really
learning a lot.

When I was there, we got a lot of the usual "I thought it was only a
webserver", but more than that, this year, we got a lot of people asking
about specific projects, and telling stories of how they use then in
their stack.

A highlight: Sharan and I had a great conversation with a university
professor who teaches open source, and who was *thrilled* to learn that
there were more Apache projects than the handful he was aware of, and
you could see him rewriting his curriculum in his head right there. That
was pretty exciting.

We also had awesome conversations around Kibble, particularly from
several organizations who were going to go back home and implement it in
their org to measure internal projects. That was pretty exciting.

And people were very pleased that we're doing an event in Berlin, so
this was a great outreach event for the RoadShow.

In all, even better than last year, and a great event to be at. It is
very important that we continue to be at FOSDEM going forward. It's a
shame that there's really no comparable event in North America any more.

On 02/05/2018 07:20 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I wanted to post a quick update about FOSDEM that ran over the weekend. As usual it was
a huge event, with lots of people a coming along from all over the world.

> Once again a big thank you to everyone who turned up to help out at the booth or to chat
to people about the ASF or their project. I like FOSDEM because it's a place where you can
finally meet in person the people that you have been chatting with on the mailing lists. So
a great place to connect.

> This year we had some larger roller banners, one with our feather and one with our list
of projects. Once again people were surprised to realise just how many projects we have at
the ASF or that they were already using.

> Daniel organised a“Save the Date” sign with details of ApacheCon NA and the
Apache EU Roadshow. This was great at promoting the events to everyone.

> We also had a few project demos running via a monitor at the booth. Visitor often want
to find out more project details or see it in action so having a visual display really helped
us interact with people. (BTW the Kibble demo got a lot of attention not only from visitors
but Apache people too :-)

> As usual people came by to pick up stickers and I know we will never have them all so
there are always people asking us for stickers that we don't have. I think this time Kaftka
and Cassandra were requested a lot!

> We also had some different swag this time Apache balloons (which were popular not only
with children), pens (that went quickly!), bracelets (we ran out of both our Meritocracy and
Do I.T like a Girl ones), t-shirts (we printed a few and they were very popular, in fact someone
happily donated 20 euros for 2 shirts), mugs (we had a few Apache mugs that became a most
wanted item).

> FOSDEM is quite an intense conference because it runs over a couple of days a lot of
information gets circulated to a large audience then discussions start discussions which start
even more discussions. It's very easy to get caught up in conversations with people you have
only just met about technology, development, community and any other topic you care to think
of.  I think it was a lot like that at the booth this year:-)

> I'd really like to thank all the booth volunteers (Daan, Rohit, Trevor, Myrle, Andrus,
Kevin, Rich, Daniel, Pono and Isabel). I apologise if there was anyone I've missed out!

> It was also good to meet a few people from the earlier Apache days (so thanks to Xander
and Torsten too!).

> It was an amazing fun event and I had a really great time. I hope that we can be present
at FOSDEM in the future and continue to promote Apache there.