community-dev mailing list archives

From George Percivall <gperciv...@opengeospatial.org>
Subject Geospatial Session at ApacheCon North America, September 24-27 in Montréal
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2018 16:31:24 GMT

Does your Apache project include geospatial data and processing?

Join the discussion in a geospatial session at ApacheCon NA 2018.
Montreal, Sept 24-27. http://apachecon.com/acna18/index.html <http://apachecon.com/acna18/index.html>
When you submit your proposed talk include this in your abstract: “Geospatial Session"
http://apachecon.com/acna18/schedule.html <http://apachecon.com/acna18/schedule.html>
- CFP closes on March 30th.

Geospatial Session at ApacheCon NA 2018:
“ Multiple Apache projects include geospatial data and processing.  This session provides
an opportunity to discuss geospatial information implementations across Apache projects.
 Apache SIS provides data structures and methods for geographic features including coordinate
reference systems, e.g., OGC WKT CRS2. Several projects are providing geospatial structures
and methods for Apache Spark, e.g., how to apply Simple Features in Spark.  Several projects
are addressing spatial indexes on gridded structures including building on Apache Projects
and the related OGC DGGS.  Apache Science Data Analytics Platform (SDAP) enables fast analysis
of oceanographic data.  A recent Location Powers workshop highlighted linked-geo-data building
on Apache Projects.  Coordination of geospatial topics increases data quality and reduces
development effort.”

Thanks to this group for helping to plan the session so far:
- Martin Desruisseaux, Geomatys and Apache SIS
- Ram Shriharsha, Databricks and Apache Spark
- Lewis McGibbney, JPL and Apache SDAP
- Ingo Simoinis, OGC
- Sergio Fernandez
- Chaowei Yang, GMU
- Shaowen Wang, UIUC CyberGIS Center and NGSI
- Yao-Yi Chiang, Spatial Sciences Institute USC

An approach similar to this was used to create the geospatial session in Apache Big Data 2016
https://apachebigdata2016.sched.com/overview/type/Geospatial <https://apachebigdata2016.sched.com/overview/type/Geospatial>

Use this list for detailed discussion on geospatial topics: <geospatial@apache.org <mailto:geospatial@apache.org>>

Regards,
George

George Percivall
CTO, Chief Engineer
Open Geospatial Consortium
gpercivall@opengeospatial.org <mailto:gpercivall@opengeospatial.org>
@Percivall

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Rich Bowen <rbowen@apache.org>
> Subject: Save the date: ApacheCon North America, September 24-27 in Montréal
> Date: February 20, 2018 at 9:21:23 AM EST
> To: Rich Bowen <rbowen@apache.org>
>
> Dear Apache Enthusiast,
>
> (You’re receiving this message because you’re subscribed to a user@ or dev@ list
of one or more Apache Software Foundation projects.)

> We’re pleased to announce the upcoming ApacheCon [1] in Montréal, September 24-27.
This event is all about you — the Apache project community.

> We’ll have four tracks of technical content this time, as well as lots of opportunities
to connect with your project community, hack on the code, and learn about other related (and
unrelated!) projects across the foundation.

> The Call For Papers (CFP) [2] and registration are now open. Register early to take advantage
of the early bird prices and secure your place at the event hotel.

> 	Important dates
> 	March 30: CFP closes
> 	April 20: CFP notifications sent
> 	August 24: Hotel room block closes (please do not wait until the last minute)
>
> Follow @ApacheCon on Twitter to be the first to hear announcements about keynotes, the
schedule, evening events, and everything you can expect to see at the event.