community-dev mailing list archives

From Christofer Dutz <christofer.d...@c-ware.de>
Subject Re: Solutions Hamburg 2018
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:36:14 GMT
Hi All,

So, I just had a meeting with Mr. Rösler from the OSBA and we talked about how we could thematically
setup our shared half-day track.

OSBA seems to advocate usage of open source in governmental organizations and are more concentrated
on products than technology. I did sense a general preference of a GPL concept, but I think
I did manage to provide the good reasons, why a more liberal license does help adoption when
it comes to technological “products”. They seem to employ a lobbyist that is trying to
counteract the commercial companies’ lobbyists in Berlin in a quest to bring more open-source
to the government in general and reduce the dependency on individual companies.

This is the general plot we came up with:

- Into (30 min):
o We set the stage for the track

- Open-Source’s heart is participation (40 min)
o Giving and getting back: Why giving can be rewarding
o Reasons for personal participation
o Reasons for commercial participation
• Open-Sourcing products
• Letting employees participate
• Providing commercial support

- Trust (40 min)
o Multiple-Eyes concept (open code)
o Availability of support
• Community
• Commercial
o Reduced unilateral dependency
o Protection against legal problems

- Open-Source: It’s not all the same (40 min)
o GPL vs Apache (From a license point of view)
o Eclipse vs Apache vs ? (From an organizational / community view)
o (GPL for Products / Apache for technology)?

- Wrap-Up (15 minutes)

We would share each block and provide about 50% of each block.
Providing practical examples is preferred over theoretical talks (Stories from the trenches).

Preference for German language, but not a requirement.
We would exchange our general abstracts with OSBA to allow preparing the track in a way that
it fits together.

Track-Title: TBD but should be catchy and not boring.

Chris