community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sha...@apache.org>
Subject Paris Open Source Summit 2017 Update
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2017 17:29:49 GMT
Hi All

Sorry for the delay in getting this update out to you all, but this year's mega flu got me.

Anyway a brief update on the Summit.

I arrived on the Tuesday afternoon and went over to check out the location and start our booth
setup. It was easy to find and people seemed to smile at the fact that we were located right
next to the  Libre Office stand.

Early Wednesday morning, I arrived and started setting up our table, and not long after 9am
people started coming in and dropping by our table.

There was a main hall was divided into various areas focussing on ther different themes. For
example our booth was in the Associations Village (for Open Source Foundations and non profits),
as well as company booths, they also had a Legal Tech Village about the legal side or open
source,  Mobility, OW2, Innovations Village. A key focus this year was Africa and how open
source is opening up new technology opportunities.

Our Apache track ran on the Wednesday afternoon and the room we were given held a maximum
35 people. Our talks were a mix of French and English and attendance numbers varied from around
10 to 30. The most popular talk being Apache Spark!

Most of the discussions were in French and even though I haven't really spoken French for
a while – it sort of came back (well I think it did :-).  One of the most common questions
we were asked is 'Does Apache have a local company in France?'  And each time we have to explain
that the Apache community is everywhere.

Thanks very much to our speakers (Bertrand, Luciano, Martin, Ismael, and Olivier). Thanks
also to everyone who helped out on the booth. Big thanks to Bertrand seemingly effortlessly
did 3 talks at this event, (a keynote, an ASF track one and a community track talk!)
There was also a talk on Apache Dremio on one of the other tracks that we didn't know about
until the day.

A super special mention and kudos to Herve Boutemy and Olivier Heintz who spent most of both
days working on the ASF booth with me!

Thanks very much to Emmanuel (our Paris insider who found us a nice restaurant in the centre
and organised a dinner for us all).

We did have a scanning application to try and capture the number of people we were interacting
with and in total myself and Herve scanned 120 people but this really didnt reflect the total
number of people that really came along. The event attracts around 6000 attendees and we definitely
saw a lot more than 120 people over the two days.

I heard that this is the first time they have tried out this new conference format and I think
that it works very well. I hope we get invited to participate again next year!

We also made some new contacts and the ASF has been invited to participate in another Paris
based open source conference which will be English content only.

I took a few photos so will try and get those posted on our Facebook page soon.

Thanks
Sharan