community-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. McGrail" <kevin.mcgr...@mcgrail.com>
Subject Re: Doing open source while maintaining your sanity
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2017 21:26:27 GMT
Hi Isabel and Myrle,

So I read this email in November and my snarky response was it was like
asking the patients at the hospital to write their own protocol.

Volunteerism and especially volunteer burn out are definite issues.  I
don't know that I've ever seen materials at other US NPOs for it though
I admit I haven't been looking for it.

Perhaps a few points like this at an appropriate place on our site?  My
idea for getting this moving:

Some Advice about Volunteering:

- Volunteering starts at home: Don't give more than you can afford to give.

- Volunteering doesn't mean unprofessional: Just because you aren't paid
should change your standards.

- Volunteers have lives and jobs: Don't over commit and ask for help
EARLY if you are overwhelmed, get sick, or whatever.

- Volunteerism and burn out are real issues: If you need help, there are
lots of members here who understand your pain.  Don't be afraid to ask
for it! Reach out to members@apache.org, board-private@apache.org, or
just another member 1:1.

Please don't suffer in silence.  We are all a big Apache family and we
are here to help!

My $0.02.
KAM

On 12/8/2017 9:20 AM, Myrle Krantz wrote:
> Hi Isabel,
>
> Since sustainable development is very much in Apache's interest as a
> foundation, I believe this is an excellent idea.
>
> My first thoughts on where this could go:
> 1.) This belongs somewhere under https://community.apache.org
> 2.) It should come "early" in the intro to open source development.
> So maybe here: https://community.apache.org/newcomers/ ?
> 3.) It's important enough to link to from the first community page,
> maybe under or with the code of conduct?
>
> But I'm still fairly new to comdev.  Who else has an opinion about
> where this belongs?
>
> Best Regards,
> Myrle
>

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Isabel Drost-Fromm <isabel@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last week at FOSS Backstage one of the topics Sharan discussed in her talk was IIRC
the responsibility that comes with running an and participating in an open source project.
One of the topics related to keeping an eye on your own well being as well as on your peers.

>> At Apache we have a couple resources that warn against things like volunteeritis,
over committing and the like. I'm not sure how visible these are, also I'm not sure if Apache
projects in general are aware of the topic of mental health.

>> IANAL, but AFAIK at least in Germany, mental health legally is treated the same way
as physical health when it comes to employer liability (someone with better "legal English"
skills, please correct my wording). While we are not an employer, would it make sense to offer
some material on the topic to community members? I would guess that we wouldn't need to produce
any new content, but maybe just link to and endorse existing stuff we already have? (Maybe
we already do that, it's been a while since I was a new committer reading through the getting
started docs, so anyone who is new - feedback welcome.)