community-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. McGrail" <kevin.mcgr...@mcgrail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2018
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 17:56:02 GMT
On 12/14/2017 9:12 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> ApacheCon will still exist. That is certainly the plan. The board
> approved a substantial amount of money for ApacheCon to continue to
> exist.
>
> What's frustrating to me is all the people spreading the message that
> ApacheCon is no longer going to exist. This is making my job a lot
> harder, because everyone I approach already "knows" that ApacheCon is
> no longer going to exist.
Great point, Rich!  I did not realize your frustration on that.
ApacheCon's are/will still happen!  It's just changing companies for HOW
we do it so we don't have a WHEN it will happen yet.

For those who care, with my ASF hats, lots of discussion and budgets
etc. about great events across lists with active discussions for an EU
based event in 2Q 2018 as well as a 1day AC event in the DC area in 2018
as well.  And I'm doing very initial work trying to make one happen in
Western Africa where I see a need.

The only thing that has occurred is AC 2018 won't be happening with the
same firm that was helping us before which was LF.  LF are great
partners but it wasn't a fit and we exited on friendly terms. You'll
likely see them help / attend our future events, just not organize them.

>> BarCamp and project Summits are great, we do 2 every year in my
>> primary projects. In an ideal world, I’d still like to see an
>> ApacheCon with a 3 or 4 days program:
>>
>> * 1-2 days of BarCamp / Project Summits, at the conference location,
>> sponsored for any projects who wants to organize one. I’m OK with
>> requiring an ApacheCon registration go participate here.
>>
>> * 2 days of a topic based, 2-track Apache related conference. I would
>> strongly encourage that we broaden the horizon here, such that a talk
>> would not necessarily need to be specific to one (or a few). Almost
>> everyone is using at least one Apache Project for any solution they
>> made, and I think it’d be interesting to learn more about how ASF
>> projects are used together with other projects for example.
>
> What you describe here is indeed exactly what the plan is. I need help
> to make it happen.

And to be clear, I've attended similar 1 day events called a Barcamp
which was non-project specific, 1 day event.  Call it a miniAC or a
barcamp or whatever, I'm not worried about the name.  It would be in the
DC area because Hadrian & I are here and we think we can pull it
together.   Right now, I'm working on a location and a date that
location is available because I want the space donated and beggars can't
be choosers.  I'll try and keep options open and find a place that might
be able to do 2 days and call it AC 2018 but I'll start smaller and see
what is feasible with Rich and other experienced players weighing in.

Regards,
KAM