community-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2018
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 22:42:12 GMT

> On Dec 14, 2017, at 7:12 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

> On 12/12/2017 02:18 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>>> On Dec 12, 2017, at 6:34 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com>
wrote:

>>> The distinction is I am looking at something smaller like a BarCamp level event
not an AC level event.
>> I can definitely see the value in this, but it's somewhat saddening if ApacheCon
as a conference would no longer exist :-/. But, if it’s not a viable Conference, we should
stop wasting our time / money...

> ApacheCon will still exist. That is certainly the plan. The board approved a substantial
amount of money for ApacheCon to continue to exist.

> What's frustrating to me is all the people spreading the message that ApacheCon is no
longer going to exist. This is making my job a lot harder, because everyone I approach already
"knows" that ApacheCon is no longer going to exist.

>> BarCamp and project Summits are great, we do 2 every year in my primary projects.
In an ideal world, I’d still like to see an ApacheCon with a 3 or 4 days program:
>> * 1-2 days of BarCamp / Project Summits, at the conference location, sponsored for
any projects who wants to organize one. I’m OK with requiring an ApacheCon registration
go participate here.
>> * 2 days of a topic based, 2-track Apache related conference. I would strongly encourage
that we broaden the horizon here, such that a talk would not necessarily need to be specific
to one (or a few). Almost everyone is using at least one Apache Project for any solution they
made, and I think it’d be interesting to learn more about how ASF projects are used together
with other projects for example.

> What you describe here is indeed exactly what the plan is. I need help to make it happen.

Where do I sing up?

— leif