community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2018
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:12:34 GMT

On 12/12/2017 02:18 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:

>> On Dec 12, 2017, at 6:34 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/12/2017 8:26 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>> Unclear what distinction you're making here. Apachecon is of course short
>>> for "apache conference". The brand has a following.
>> The distinction is I am looking at something smaller like a BarCamp level event not
an AC level event.

> I can definitely see the value in this, but it's somewhat saddening if ApacheCon as a
conference would no longer exist :-/. But, if it’s not a viable Conference, we should stop
wasting our time / money...

ApacheCon will still exist. That is certainly the plan. The board
approved a substantial amount of money for ApacheCon to continue to exist.

What's frustrating to me is all the people spreading the message that
ApacheCon is no longer going to exist. This is making my job a lot
harder, because everyone I approach already "knows" that ApacheCon is no
longer going to exist.

> BarCamp and project Summits are great, we do 2 every year in my primary projects. In
an ideal world, I’d still like to see an ApacheCon with a 3 or 4 days program:

> * 1-2 days of BarCamp / Project Summits, at the conference location, sponsored for any
projects who wants to organize one. I’m OK with requiring an ApacheCon registration go participate
here.

> * 2 days of a topic based, 2-track Apache related conference. I would strongly encourage
that we broaden the horizon here, such that a talk would not necessarily need to be specific
to one (or a few). Almost everyone is using at least one Apache Project for any solution they
made, and I think it’d be interesting to learn more about how ASF projects are used together
with other projects for example.

What you describe here is indeed exactly what the plan is. I need help
to make it happen.