community-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2018
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2017 17:55:06 GMT
I like the ideas proposed here. I think all in all, we have to change the format of ApacheCon
for it to be worth the efforts and financial burden. I also think we have to be more appealing
to non-committers (unless we turn AC into a project Summit umbrella).

I’ve been a proponent of topic tracks, rather than project tracks. I’ve seen first hand
an all day track have speakers talking to a handful of project members, all whom already knew
the topics.

I’d also like to see fewer tracks, such that the rooms are filled. I’ve been to GopherCon
a few times, with only one main track, and it was great. Not saying we have to be that narrow,
but 2-3 tracks tops IMO, ideally with cross project topics (“how I made X fast with HTTPD,
PageSpeed and Cassandra”).

Cheers,

— Leif

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 23:40, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, give me a few days.  Mason invited me to speak in March and I have a contact.  I'll
see what might be possible.

>> On 12/8/2017 1:30 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:
>> I like the GMU idea and getting new generation of students interested in OSS. I think
I can find SIs to sponsors and even follow Niclas' idea of connecting potential employers
with talent.

>> We can pull this off.

about trying to organize something here, even smaller events?
>>> +1.  Could be a nice time to throw the sponsor thank you party as well on the
night before the event with a speaker dinner.

>>> 1 day, 2 tracks, 12 presentations with a keynote and key end.  I have a friend
with a nice conference room that hosted an ISSA meeting.  I can ask him how many it fits.
 Or I can talk to GMU especially if we have a presentation or two on things like OSS in state/federal
gov't and CyberSecurity.