community-dev mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2018
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 22:41:56 GMT

> On Dec 14, 2017, at 10:56 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com> wrote:
>
> On 12/14/2017 9:12 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> ApacheCon will still exist. That is certainly the plan. The board approved a substantial
amount of money for ApacheCon to continue to exist.

>> What's frustrating to me is all the people spreading the message that ApacheCon is
no longer going to exist. This is making my job a lot harder, because everyone I approach
already "knows" that ApacheCon is no longer going to exist.
> Great point, Rich!  I did not realize your frustration on that. ApacheCon's are/will
still happen!  It's just changing companies for HOW we do it so we don't have a WHEN it will
happen yet.

> For those who care, with my ASF hats, lots of discussion and budgets etc. about great
events across lists with active discussions for an EU based event in 2Q 2018 as well as a
1day AC event in the DC area in 2018 as well.  And I'm doing very initial work trying to make
one happen in Western Africa where I see a need.

> The only thing that has occurred is AC 2018 won't be happening with the same firm that
was helping us before which was LF.  LF are great partners but it wasn't a fit and we exited
on friendly terms. You'll likely see them help / attend our future events, just not organize
them.

>>> BarCamp and project Summits are great, we do 2 every year in my primary projects.
In an ideal world, I’d still like to see an ApacheCon with a 3 or 4 days program:

>>> * 1-2 days of BarCamp / Project Summits, at the conference location, sponsored
for any projects who wants to organize one. I’m OK with requiring an ApacheCon registration
go participate here.

>>> * 2 days of a topic based, 2-track Apache related conference. I would strongly
encourage that we broaden the horizon here, such that a talk would not necessarily need to
be specific to one (or a few). Almost everyone is using at least one Apache Project for any
solution they made, and I think it’d be interesting to learn more about how ASF projects
are used together with other projects for example.

>> What you describe here is indeed exactly what the plan is. I need help to make it
happen.

> And to be clear, I've attended similar 1 day events called a Barcamp which was non-project
specific, 1 day event.  Call it a miniAC or a barcamp or whatever, I'm not worried about the
name.  It would be in the DC area because Hadrian & I are here and we think we can pull
it together.   Right now, I'm working on a location and a date that location is available
because I want the space donated and beggars can't be choosers.  I'll try and keep options
open and find a place that might be able to do 2 days and call it AC 2018 but I'll start smaller
and see what is feasible with Rich and other experienced players weighing in.

I’m slightly confused. I think you are saying that you want to split off, and do a “Barcamp”
(or whatever we call it :), separate from AC as Rich Bowen is planning? I’m a bit -1 on
that, a big driver for getting people to both “Barcamps (Summits in my case) and ApacheCon
is that they are adjacent (time wise) and in the same physical location. This really helps
with getting approval for travel etc. from various companies /employers.

This doesn’t imply that we should *not* do separate BarCamps / events, that’s always been
happening (we do two summits / year for my  projects, with only one obviously adjacent to
ACNA). So it’s possible I’m just confused, and we’re asking / saying the same things
here.

Cheers,

— Leif