community-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. McGrail" <kevin.mcgr...@mcgrail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon 2018
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2017 22:52:07 GMT
On 12/14/2017 5:41 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
> I’m slightly confused. I think you are saying that you want to split off, and do a
“Barcamp” (or whatever we call it:), separate from AC as Rich Bowen is planning? I’m
a bit -1 on that, a big driver for getting people to both “Barcamps (Summits in my case)
and ApacheCon is that they are adjacent (time wise) and in the same physical location. This
really helps with getting approval for travel etc. from various companies /employers.

> This doesn’t imply that we should*not*  do separate BarCamps / events, that’s always
been happening (we do two summits / year for my  projects, with only one obviously adjacent
to ACNA). So it’s possible I’m just confused, and we’re asking / saying the same things
here.

A) I've been to apache barcamps not associated with other AC events.  I
had no similar expectation that they are same physical location and I
think your vision of this event is far grander than what I would best
call a mini-AC.

B) Yes, the infancy-level suggestion is an event not at the same
time/place as AC that Hadrian and I are trying to coordinate as a
one-day event in the DC Metro area.

Regards,
KAM