community-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Translating Some ASF Pages into Chinese
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 16:45:45 GMT
Hi -

> On Nov 30, 2017, at 2:26 AM, Isabel Drost-Fromm <isabel@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 11:22:12AM +0100, Piergiorgio Lucidi wrote:
>> But considering the technology problem, I'm wondering if CrafterCMS [1] can
>> help us for this because it is a Git-based CMS and it is also Open Source :)
>
> What kind of tooling or process was used to get the httpd docs as well as the Open Office
docs translated?

Under Sun and Oracle OpenOffice.org <http://openoffice.org/> was translated into over
100 languages. This was a mixture of community and corporate work. During incubation we moved
everything on the website (9GB) into the Apache CMS and created a template that rewrapped
existing HTML and provided headers, footers and navigation in alternative languages if a translated
version is checked into the structure in the template directory.

Navigation and content pages are managed by the community. Volunteers appear from time to
time on the L10N@openoffice.apache.org <mailto:L10N@openoffice.apache.org> ML. The German
and Italian communities are very active at maintaining those language sites with long time
community members on the PMC.

We are very much dependent on the Apache CMS and Joe did significant work to make it performant
at the end of 2011. If infrastructure replaces the Apache CMS then there is significant retooling
for OpenOffice.

Other translation efforts make use of Pootle … and volunteers who are recruited on the NL
language pages of OpenOffice.org <http://openoffice.org/>. These efforts are UI strings
and help files. Dictionaries are a community effort and these can typically still be shared
between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. extensions.openoffice.org <http://extensions.openoffice.org/>

Regards,
Dave

> Isabel
>

> --
> Sorry for any typos: Mail was typed in vim, written in mutt, via ssh (most likely involving
some kind of mobile connection only.)