community-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: ComDev mission
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2017 02:20:31 GMT
On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 4:06 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Rich Bowen wrote on 11/1/17 3:05 PM:
>>> s/the best way/one of the best ways/
>>>
>>> We have a great method, but it's not the best of all possible ways for
>>> all communities.  I think making the mission a superlative will bring
>>> more flak than it brings value.
>>>

>> I believe it's the best way, but, ok.
>
> I believe it's the best way for most people too.  But not all.  And
> there are several other models out there that work quite well and have
> passionate evangelists for their models as well.
>
> My point is that the ASF at it's roots is here to serve the communities
> that choose to join us.  We definitely can do better with a more
> coherent and polished message, and about being organized at spreading
> our message - which ComDev is quite nicely doing these days!  In
> particular, your proposal to better show how our model is practiced is
> super important.
>
> But we're not an advocacy group, and our culture is not one to
> proselytize.  I dunno, maybe I'm over-sensitive to the inevitable
> pushback from some of the other communities out there with their own
> organized stories to tell.

I think there's a difference between trying to convert and trying to share
best practices. I read Rich's email as trying to achieve the later. But I agree
we really should avoid any kind of exclusionary tone. Nobody and not a single
organization has a monopoly on the definition of doing Open Source right.

Thanks,
Roman.