community-dev mailing list archives

From Isabel Drost-Fromm <isa...@apache.org>
Subject Doing open source while maintaining your sanity
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:51:15 GMT
Hi,

Last week at FOSS Backstage one of the topics Sharan discussed in her talk was IIRC the responsibility
that comes with running an and participating in an open source project. One of the topics
related to keeping an eye on your own well being as well as on your peers.

At Apache we have a couple resources that warn against things like volunteeritis, over committing
and the like. I'm not sure how visible these are, also I'm not sure if Apache projects in
general are aware of the topic of mental health.

IANAL, but AFAIK at least in Germany, mental health legally is treated the same way as physical
health when it comes to employer liability (someone with better "legal English" skills, please
correct my wording). While we are not an employer, would it make sense to offer some material
on the topic to community members? I would guess that we wouldn't need to produce any new
content, but maybe just link to and endorse existing stuff we already have? (Maybe we already
do that, it's been a while since I was a new committer reading through the getting started
docs, so anyone who is new - feedback welcome.)

Isabel