community-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rethinking email (was Re: A plead from a chair with an overloaded mailbox.)
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2017 08:50:45 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I’m wondering if it makes sense to take a step back and rethink email and communication.
> This feels like part of a bigger challenge...

One of my favorite ways to make sense of busy mailing lists is to
require subject line [tags] for everything.

Rich Bowen recently pointed me to  OpenStack dev list which does
exactly that, http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/thread.html

This paves the way for improved mail clients or plugins which can make
good use of that, without requiring complicated new tools and while
preserving the ubiquity of email which is *very* important in the
Apache model, IMO.

One thing that remains is the need for people to quote in a sane way,
spending a big more energy on their side to save the energy of lots of
people reading the result. I understand some email clients are
terrible at that but I'm not sure if it's a valid excuse for our
frequent top-quoted messes.

-Bertrand