community-dev mailing list archives

From Joseph Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Foundation Voting
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2017 21:36:09 GMT
Would be more interesting to find out the genesis of that dreck and why it persisted til now.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 18, 2017, at 5:29 PM, Chris Johnson <chris@meaningfulwerks.com> wrote:
>
> Dave - this was constructive, and well thought.  I agree.
>
> CJ
>> On Oct 18, 2017, at 4:27 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi -
>>
>> Does Comdev control the page /foundation/voting.html?
>>
>> A member of the Apache OpenOffice community pointed out that the following phrase
discourages participation:

>> Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific thing. However,
the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes, and all others are either discouraged
from voting (to keep the noise down) or else have their votes considered of an indicative
or advisory nature only.

>> I think that this should be rewritten as:
>>
>> Who is permitted to vote is, to some extent, a community-specific thing. However,
the basic rule is that only PMC members have binding votes, and all other votes are advisory.

>> It has been reported that people are discouraged from participating with the “to
keep the noise down” commentary and I agree.

>> Here is a current situation in Apache OpenOffice where we have been regrowing the
community and we just had an important -1 from a community member that prevented a bad release.
We must be careful that the English on our pages is not tortured and overly pedantic.