community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sha...@apache.org>
Subject Brief Update – Solutions Hamburg
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:02:55 GMT
Hi Everyone

Last week we had 3 days of Apache presentations at the Solutions Hamburg conference (in Hamburg
:-). And although the weather was quite wet I think we all had fun.

We had 9 speakers at the event including Greg Stein who was invited to give one of the keynotes.
Our planned schedule was as follows

Developer Day:
- Apache Mynewt - ASF First Embedded OS Project – Justin McClean
- Das große Apache Enterprise und Microservice Puzzle - Mark Struberg
- Apache Commons - Beyond StringUtils  - Benedikt Ritter
- Using Structured Streaming in Apache Spark 2.2 Jacek Laskowski

DevOps Day
- Security around the Hadoop ecosystem - Lars Francke
- Developing and Releasing an Open Source Microservices architecture - Myrle Krantz
- Deep Dive Into Structured Streaming in Apache Spark 2.2 - Jacek Laskowski
- SCADA Systeme mit Apache Software Entwickeln - Christofer Dutz

Apache Foundation Day
- Hat Open Source Recht? - Mark Struberg
- The Apache Way - Sharan Foga
- The Apache Incubator: Raising up projects to raise up the world  - Justin McClean &
Myrle Krantz
- Wie funktioniert die Apache Software Foundation? - Christofer Dutz

Chris had attended this conference before and gave us some information on what to expect.
The room we were given was at the university campus where most of the technical talks were
held. Most of the talks were in German but there were some (including a few of ours in English).

We understand  that 5000 tickets had been sold for the event yet attendance was a bit mixed
and the most popular of our talks were the microservices related ones with around 20 people.
I think Mark's talk about open source licensing also attacted a few people and questions.
We found that the early morning sessions and the last sessions of the day tended not to have
many attendees so in a couple of cases we decided to run our own adhoc sessions.

I did a talk on The Apache Way and thought that I didn't have enough content to fill 75 minutes
but it is amazing how quickly the time goes - and I only just about made it!

The organisers were great and provided us with lots and lots of food, a special barista for
coffee, a speaker evening event in a bunker and an end of conference party that was out of
this world!

We did have some issues with transport between the two conference sites and will be providing
this as feedback to the conference organisers.

We also need to do a bit of a lessons learned review of what worked and what we could do better
next time. This was the first time at this event so it would be good to talk about how we
could improve our participation and attract more attendees.

Huge thanks to Myrle Krantz and Chris Dutz for their work in organising, facilitating and
generally liaising with the conference organisers. Also thanks to the other speakers –
it was good to meet, chat and generally hang out with you all.

Thanks
Sharan