community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2017 15:43:18 GMT
On 15/09/2017 Isabel Drost-Fromm wrote:
> Am 12. September 2017 23:27:42 MESZ schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> That is what I am required to obey each year when selecting talks for
>> the devroom I co-organize.
> Who is asking you to obey that?

At some time in 2012, when I was organizing the current incarnation of
the devroom for the first time, I was made aware of this requirement. It
made sense to me, I agree with it and it gives me the opportunity for
rejecting (or asking to improve) presentations that would only be
product pitches and that wouldn't fit the spirit of FOSDEM.

> This information is important as Dev rooms are entirely self organised and independent

I surely didn't want to start a discussion about someone violating some
fundamental freedoms of devrooms organizers. A quick search on the site
doesn't reveal anything forbidding non-technical talks. I do remember it
being set as an explicit requirement in 2012, but I don't feel this is
important enough for me to spend time digging in the archives. And
whether it is explicitly stated or not, I still see it as a requirement
that makes sense for a "typical" FOSDEM devroom - not for the one
recently discussed on this list.

Regards,
   Andrea.