community-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FOSDEM Apache Developer Room ?
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2017 18:27:58 GMT
On 06/09/2017 Sharan Foga wrote:
> It sounds like the general feeling is to do it, so I will put something
> together for the Developer room request.

Note that I submitted a request on behalf of the OpenOffice PMC to have
the traditional "ODF Editors" devroom that has been co-organized by
OpenOffice since 2014.

I honestly believe that it would be closer to the spirit of FOSDEM if
other ASF projects tried to join a devroom where they fit in a technical
sense more than in a community sense, especially if you take into
account that one of the very few requirements for presentations is to be
of a technical nature - and in my case I will surely find more familiar
a technical presentation about a non-ASF, ODF-related project than one
about an ASF-operated but ODF-unrelated one.

That said, I surely don't want to discourage you from applying for an
"Apache Devroom". Just consider that some projects might join other
devrooms not because they feel "special" or "bigger" or "more
important", but because in the very competitive FOSDEM process this
gives them the opportunity to better fit the FOSDEM requirements.

Regards,
   Andrea.