community-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: KAM is not drunk was Re: Wristbands instead of stickers?
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2017 02:09:46 GMT
On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Kevin A. McGrail
<kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com> wrote:

> <rant>
> And after the moron at Google decided girls should only get Barbie dolls, I'll personally
pay for a batch that says Code Like a Girl. Myrle if you have ideas of something pithier that
is broader, I am game.  Compute Like a Girl?

FWIW, a computer (computationalist) was a stereotype that there were
many smart people who could not engineer, but could perform
calculations. I don't think you want to go there.

Code Like a Girl works fine. So would Hack..., Engineer..., Design...,
Architect... etc etc.

There is a reason the only thing we've entirely successfully delegated
to machines is the actual computation (and they still can't arrive at
the correct computational approach if not coded correctly.)

I appreciate your sentiment, but didn't find the alternative to be
complimentary.

This is the oldest reference I find to "Code Like a Girl" -
http://melitamihaljevic.blogspot.com/ blog title. Someone else can
continue the crawl prior back before 2011, or simply ask :)

Cheers,

Bill