community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Introducing code owners
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:03:33 GMT

On 07/07/2017 09:39 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> I think "CODEOWNERS" is too strong a term; they should have been more
> descriptive with CODEREVIEWERS or the like, since these aren't
> necessarily owners of a file or project.  That might be useful feedback
> for github, but since they've already rolled it out, I doubt they'd
> change it.

Perhaps change it to COOKIELICKER instead?

Every project I've worked in where someone "owned" a particular
feature/file/method/document, that thing has ended up either getting
neglected (because nobody else was willing to touch it) or caused fights
(because someone else *was* willing to touch it).

So, yeah, terrible idea for anything but one-person projects. It's
basically putting a sign on something that says "no other ideas welcome."

FWIW, I added it to my list of things to blog about, but I don't know if
I'll get to it quickly enough for my response to be timely and relevant.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon