community-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Consultants/Jobs portal?
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:25:30 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Christofer Dutz
<christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:
> ...I think in general you will probably get more public awareness by posting
> articles in newspapers or blogs, but what if I would rather invest my time in
> doing instead of talking?...

As an aside, I think publishing good content is great marketing for an
independent.

> ...Instead of a list where people can ask for people for a given task, we could
> provide an Apache portal in which committers of ASF projects can sign up to
> be listed to be available and interested in projects and consulting for the
> projects they invest their time in...

That's a great idea but you'd need to confirm that the ASF can do that
without risks related to our 501(C)3 charity status. One could argue
that doing that means explicitly giving a business advantage to our
committers, so I think you'd need board approval based on the rules
that you'd use to accept listing people there.

OTOH this can also happen as a private initiative, create such a site
and make enough noise about it (which will require writing blog posts
etc ;-) to make it popular.

-Bertrand