community-dev mailing list archives

From "Lauri Apple"<lauri.ap...@zalando.de>
Subject Hello/response from an "Open Source Office" (Zalando)
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2017 20:26:59 GMT
Hi, I'm the open source evangelist at Zalando. We're a publicly traded, 12K+ ecommerce company
based in Berlin. I am pretty much the Open Source Office for now, but we just released a strategy
that includes creating a team as well as a peer review group for new projects hoping to come
online.

Depending on the output of your org, it can either make sense or not to start such an office.
We needed to create a sustainable and craftsmanship-focused OSS culture and strategy from
scratch, so that's mostly what I've been doing since Jan 2016 (in addition to doing another
job at Zalando full-time; agile coach/producer). It also depends on what your org's goals
are: promoting projects as products for others to use? Building personal development opportunities
for your team (OSS is a great vehicle for that)? Improving quality of software you've already
made internally, by releasing it externally? Employer branding (I'm not a fan of this strategy)?

Identify what you hope to get out of such an office, and that will help you decide if it's
worth the effort. :) -- Lauri Apple @lauritaapplez on Twitter; go to zalando.github.io to
see our projects (once upon a time, our org had 330+ repos, so getting it down to 60 has been
an interesting journey)