community-dev mailing list archives

From "Raphael Bircher" <rbircherapa...@gmail.com>
Subject Trouble child OpenOffice
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2017 20:19:38 GMT
Hi people

I want to raise a question here. I know, we have to solve our problems our
self, but maybe here are people with ideas. OpenOffice has a big community
problem. The community was simply melted away in the last year. We have at
the moment no Company who offer devs. And the rest of the community fights
the absolutely urgent issues. There was already a discussion about
retirement, it was refused. But this doesn't mean we are out of the danger
zone.

The sweet part of this story is our user base. We have 100'000 Downloads
EVERY single DAY. I mean, this is crazy. We have really loyal users. We
get also frequently messages from user who just want to say "thank you".

The sad thing about this is, they have actually no chance to do something
for the program. They are looked out. Remember, they are normal users,
they are no developers. They are typically private users or small
companies. But imagine what happened if only a small part of our users pay
20$.

We really need devs and we need skilled one, because OpenOffice is
challenging for programmers. Companies with a load of money has a easy way
to influence an Apache project. Simply pay a developer, that's it. But
people without big pocket are simply looked out. (if they have no
programmer skills) That's not fair!

How to solve this problem? Thanks a load.

Regards Raphael