community-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trouble child OpenOffice
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2017 21:26:28 GMT
Hi Raphael,

this is really sad to hear. The gap between so many users and a vanishing community developers
wise is really strange. So the question comes to mind what the reasons are for this situation:

* are there problems in the community - especially among the developers?
* is OpenOffice not competitive anymore compared to Microsoft Office?
* is OpenOffice not competitive anymore compared to Google Docs and similar tools?
* are the download numbers correct?
* do you have an idea about the acceptance of OpenOffice in the wide world (marketing. press
and so on)?

I am quite sure you already asked and discussed these questions. But maybe they trigger some
in depth discussions to better understand the “why”

I wish you all the best with the project and hope, that it will move on.

Andy
--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

GPG public key:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x45D3565377F93D29

> On 19. Apr 2017, at 22:19, Raphael Bircher <rbircherapache@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi people
>
> I want to raise a question here. I know, we have to solve our problems our self, but
maybe here are people with ideas. OpenOffice has a big community problem. The community was
simply melted away in the last year. We have at the moment no Company who offer devs. And
the rest of the community fights the absolutely urgent issues. There was already a discussion
about retirement, it was refused. But this doesn't mean we are out of the danger zone.

> The sweet part of this story is our user base. We have 100'000 Downloads EVERY single
DAY. I mean, this is crazy. We have really loyal users. We get also frequently messages from
user who just want to say "thank you".

> The sad thing about this is, they have actually no chance to do something for the program.
They are looked out. Remember, they are normal users, they are no developers. They are typically
private users or small companies. But imagine what happened if only a small part of our users
pay 20$.

> We really need devs and we need skilled one, because OpenOffice is challenging for programmers.
Companies with a load of money has a easy way to influence an Apache project. Simply pay a
developer, that's it. But people without big pocket are simply looked out. (if they have no
programmer skills) That's not fair!