community-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ComDev Inventory Stocktake
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2017 12:13:51 GMT
On 10 April 2017 at 08:09, Sharan Foga <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I'd like to do a ComDev inventory stocktake :-) so that we can have a common understanding
of exactly what tools or applications we have at our disposal.

> What is Community Development currently responsible for. What websites do we maintain?
What pages (internal or external do we currently update?) What other tasks are we responsible
for or co-ordinate? What social media accounts do we run? What other applications do we use?

> So why do a stocktake?
> Things and people change over time and sometimes information is lost. Perhaps we already
have a tool that can help someone, it's just that we didn't realise that we had it!

> Also perhaps someone has been doing  a task and is the only one that knows how to do
it. Sharing the knowledge also helps share the workload.

> I know that we have some resources at the links below: (so will be using them as a starting
point)

> https://community.apache.org/about/
>
> https://community.apache.org/newbiefaq.html#comdevweb
>
> So if you know of anything else that doesn't appear then please let me know and we'll
start putting a complete list together.

> Ideally we would want to know what the tool, application or task is, who the main contact
person is, and any knowledge about how to access and use it.

I suggest that most of the details of the tool and how to maintain it
should be in documentation files in the source code repo.
That will be much easier to maintain.
The comdev website should only contain brief details that are don't
need maintenance.