community-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Vetoes for New Committers??
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2017 23:48:36 GMT
On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Niclas Hedhman <hedhman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Vetoes can become very contentious, and I don't really buy the arguments
> presented in favor of using it. To me a negative use is a BDFL-type
> leader/founder preventing active contributors from getting a say in a
> project.

If a personnel vote is contended, and it doesn't show up in a Board
report, the PMC Chair is not upholding their responsibilities and
should be sacked. But even if it does get omitted, at least one
Director is probably scanning each project's private list once per
quarter and will likely flag the issue.

Contended personnel votes are not common. The Board has enough
bandwidth to review them and curtail egregious abuse.

Marvin Humphrey