community-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Apache Community Tools hack day at ApacheCon NA
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:36:02 GMT
Hi all!

I'm planning my trip to Miami, and had an idea for ApacheCon NA 2017 that I'd like to propose.
Apologies for how late in the game this idea arriving...but ideas arrive in their own time,
I suppose. :)

I'm planning to arrive Sunday night and had planned to attend the BarCamp on Monday. However,
what I'd love to do even more than that, is sit down with other Apache folks and get started
contributing to all the "meta" projects that we depend on daily. I gave a talk on getting
started with them at a past ApacheCon: https://apachecon2016.sched.com/event/6OIK

My hope would be to help get folks (and myself!) started on projects like PonyMail, the community.apache.org
site, projects.apache.org, the phonebook, etc. There's a list in my slide deck:

https://schd.ws/hosted_files/apachecon2016/09/Upgrading%20Our%20Apache.pdf

Other ideas I've kicked around with folks in the past include:

 - a JavaScript "feather widget" that's easily added to any site and include a slide-out navigation
"palette" to the main site and/or related project content

 - stub/starter project sites

 - forms for generating incubator report/status XML (or automating that a bit more

Mostly, a day of "scrubbing" the stuff we use and getting the code setup on hard drives of
willing accomplices would be a successful outcome for the day. ^_^

If this sounds interesting to others, I'd love to help get it on the schedule and make it
happen.

Thanks, all!

Benjamin

--