community-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Trouble child OpenOffice
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2017 03:45:09 GMT
Hi Raphael,

Not sure why you aren't trying this conversation on the OpenOffice Developer list.

It is true there is a lack of c++ devs and QA. We were too dependent on IBM. You had volunteered
to do Windows builds, but had other considerations?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 1:19 PM, Raphael Bircher <rbircherapache@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi people
>
> I want to raise a question here. I know, we have to solve our problems our self, but
maybe here are people with ideas. OpenOffice has a big community problem. The community was
simply melted away in the last year. We have at the moment no Company who offer devs. And
the rest of the community fights the absolutely urgent issues. There was already a discussion
about retirement, it was refused. But this doesn't mean we are out of the danger zone.

> The sweet part of this story is our user base. We have 100'000 Downloads EVERY single
DAY. I mean, this is crazy. We have really loyal users. We get also frequently messages from
user who just want to say "thank you".

> The sad thing about this is, they have actually no chance to do something for the program.
They are looked out. Remember, they are normal users, they are no developers. They are typically
private users or small companies. But imagine what happened if only a small part of our users
pay 20$.

> We really need devs and we need skilled one, because OpenOffice is challenging for programmers.
Companies with a load of money has a easy way to influence an Apache project. Simply pay a
developer, that's it. But people without big pocket are simply looked out. (if they have no
programmer skills) That's not fair!