community-dev mailing list archives

From Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trouble child OpenOffice
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2017 04:05:45 GMT

On 04/20/2017 11:06 AM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:07 AM, Raphael Bircher
> <rbircherapache@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ted
>>
>> Am .04.2017, 06:14 Uhr, schrieb Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Raphael,
>>>
>>> Why don't you get some folks together and start a company that solicits
>>> donations to support OO development and QA work?
>>

>> That's the Apache like style, and that's exactly the reason why i write to
>> community and not to the openoffice dev. We have many projects at big data
>> who are really successful. How they handle this problem? How they get paid
>> stuff involved into their projects. Maybe we can learn from it.
>
> It happens in exactly the way Ted is suggesting -- companies building product
> around Bigdata projects are handling client relationships and they pour $$$ back
> into the projects either via hiring more developers to work on them or by direct
> sponsorship of ASF or by promoting the projects via conferences, training, etc.
> OR all of the above ;-)
Ok. I like a challenge. Raphael, how much, or what would it take to make
what you suggest happen? I am willing to pony up some cash and other
resources.

> The challenge that is unique to OpenOffice as you are well aware is
> the fact that
> it is both a product and a project.
That's not unique to OO. There are other projects that are a product
too. Tomcat, ServiceMix, Archiva are examples.

I see other challenges and opportunities (depending on how one looks at
the glass). For instance the fact that both MS and Google, major
competitors, have a cloud service offering.