community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Proposed: (Bi?)monthly committer newsletter
Date Fri, 31 Mar 2017 14:34:53 GMT

> The draft newsletter does not seem to have instructions for opting out.
> Do you plan to add that before going live?

The intent is that this would go to committers@apache.org - a list to
which all committers are subscribed. There's no other list where we can
actually reach the audience I'm targeting - the very committers who are
less and less engaged with the larger Foundation with each passing year.

Making this a separate newsletter mailing list would completely defeat
the purpose of the mailing.

We also send board meeting minutes to this list, notifications of
upcoming events, notices of surveys, and various other messages that go
to the entire committership, without explicit mentions of ways to opt
out, other than the standard unsubscribe header.

I'm hoping that if we make this a regular thing, the shotgun-style
messages to the list will decrease, and, rather, be included in a
regular, predictable monthly mailing, thus *reducing* rather than
increasing traffic on that list.

Do you feel that an explicit opt-out mechanism is needed for this?

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon