community-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Apache and Java
Date Sun, 19 Mar 2017 09:03:09 GMT
I think it is a combination of several factors;

  * Historical - The first non-httpd project in Apache was Java, followed
by a handful of others.

  * Java is one of the big languages.

  * Some projects are spin-offs from other ASF projects

  * External Java projects knows Apache Java projects very well, through
Ant, Maven, Commons, Tomcat and many other they use. So if they seek a new
home, ASF is one of the obvious choices. For C/C++, C#, Ruby and Python,
this is not necessarily the case. There is often no natural tie between a
random solo project in these languages and ASF.

  * The above is creating a reinforcement feedback loop, giving the
impression that ASF is all about Java and perhaps overlooked for other
platforms when seeking a new home.

Hope that helps.
Niclas