community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sha...@apache.org>
Subject Quick Update about FOSDEM 2017
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 10:05:41 GMT
Hi Everyone

I wanted to post a quick update about FOSDEM last weekend.

First of all a huge thank you to everyone that turned up and helped out on and around the
ASF booth. Special mentions go out to Michael and Mechtilde from OpenOffice, Joerg and Mike
from Mesos, Claude from Jena, Raphael from OpenOffice/Incubator, Daniel, Rich, Danese and
Roman. I apologise if there is anyone I've forgotten (there were so many people!)

I'd also like to thank all the people that volunteered to be interviewed for Feathercast 'on
the ground' at FOSDEM. In all I did 6 short interviews (Joerg, Holden, Danese, Rich, Roman
and Isabel) and you can find them all on Feathercast.  I think it was a nice way to get a
bit of the 'live' feel of the conference while it was still going on.

It was great to meet so many people in person and immediately feel at ease and part of the
community. I recognised a lot of names from the mailing lists.

There were  20 presentations at FOSDEM from contributors from ASF communities which shows
that we already are building a strong presence.

Having a banner with the logos of the ASF project really helped people realise just how many
projects we have at the ASF. When people came to the booth and were asked 'Do you know Apache?'
many of them said 'Yes – of course, the web server' but when we showed them the banner,
they realised that projects like Maven, Hadoop, Tomcat and Spark were also Apache projects
– it was amazing to see the recognition in their faces.

Lots of people passed by to pick up stickers and swag, but we managed to engage everyone in
a conversation about what Apache is and how we work.

It was a fun event and I had a really great time and hope that we can be present at FOSDEM
in the future and continue to promote Apache there.

Thanks
Sharan