community-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working Ecosystems at ASF
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 17:42:27 GMT
On 1/18/17 8:03 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Raphael,
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Raphael Bircher
> <rbircherapache@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...Why ASF dosen't found Developers?. Some people say, because to non-profit
>> status. Others say, this are our rules....
> "These are our rules" would be a bad answer IMO ;-)
>
> The way I see it, the ASF funding development would create advantages
> for companies which depend on funded projects, which is incompatible
> with our charity status.

There are a lot of other non-profit charities that pay people to
pursue their core mission and in fact the ASF now pays people to
work on infrastructure, so I don't think this really has (or has to
have) anything to do with our nonprofit status.  I think the
long-standing tradition of the ASF not paying "volunteers" to code
on projects derives more from the first part of your answer: we
don't want to pick winners.  Also, we want to encourage actual
volunteering.

> Strict rules might help avoid that but it's probably much easier to
> handle funding independently of the ASF, as was done in the example
> that I mentioned here earlier.

+1
I guess that's another reason that we don't pay developers: others
means exist to get funding and we have neither need nor desire to
get into that.

Phil