community-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Open Source class... starting tomorrow
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:09:22 GMT
On 1/21/17 8:57 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 1/21/17 3:31 AM, Scott Wilson wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> When I taught a first year undergraduate course on FOSS the major syllabus topics
were:

>> - Community
>> - Communications
>> - Governance
>> - Issue Tracking
>> - Sustainability
>> - Version Control
>> - Intellectual Property
>>
>> Each student built a case study on a project they were interested in week by week
published on Wordpress; e.g.

>> https://pete1124.wordpress.com/
>> https://thejibrjabr.wordpress.com/
>>
>> … etc
>>
>> I was planning to put the content for the course on Github, but the Moodle XML export
format doesn’t exactly make it very easy… if its of interest I’d be happy to share more!
> Personally, I would be very interested in following and maybe
> eventually contributing to this.  The challenges with collaborating
> using Moodle export and/or other ed content specs is an interesting
> problem that it would be great to solve.  Have you ever done this
> before?

A colleague pointed me at this [1].  Using something like this to
manage source content might make open collaborative development of
course content easier.

Phil

[1] https://git-community.cs.odu.edu/zeil/Course_Website_Management

> Phil
>>> On 20 Jan 2017, at 22:16, Daniel Ruggeri <druggeri@primary.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, Phil;
>>>   That makes sense and I will update the syllabus to reflect the proper terminology.
I will also plan to spend a class each on build tools and dependency management as those are
both great tooics to include.