community-dev mailing list archives

From g...@rudymail.ml
Subject Joining the Apache Foundation
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 13:33:39 GMT
What are the advantages of joining the Apache Foundation?
Yes, I've read the pages on your website, but I don't understand how a
project would benefit from joining the Foundation apart from using the
organization infrastructure. Since a project is required to grow a
community (from the incubator) before becoming an "official" Apache
project, I could as well just do the work and rent a VM to host everything,
or use other websites that host code/trackers/mailing-lists for free. There
is actually a drawback from joining the community: all code becomes
licensed to the Apache Foundation under the Apache License.
I see why an abandoned project would benefit from this, as it could get a
new life instead of dying because nobody cares about it anymore... but what
about other, active projects? Who is the Apache Foundation for?

At moment, I want my privacy to be protected.
https://mytemp.email/