community-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Xenophobia in the light of President-Elect Trump
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 18:29:49 GMT

On 12/29/2016 08:20 AM, Gavin Mabie wrote:
> Hi Community
>
> Should the community come out clearly rejecting the Trump xenophobic
> policies? Given the fact that community members comprise all cultures,
> religions and geographies?

No. We should not make any political statements of this kind.

It's cool for us to make statements about what we believe, but
endorsing, or attacking, particular politicians is not only contrary to
our non-profit standing, but there are individuals within our community
who are supporters of the president-elect, and who voted for him. Do we
reject those people from our community because we disagree with their
political leanings?

We are not a political organization, and we must not become one.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon