community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <drugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: Results: ASF Committer Diversity Survey
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 00:10:38 GMT
As with ANY organization, diversity is very important for all sorts of reasons. Diversity of
thought challenges the status quo. Diversity of perspective encourages a different way of
looking at things. Diversity of history and motivation brings together different REASONS to
move forward. Diversity of knowledge breeds mentoring and growth for both the teacher and
the learner. Diversity, simply put, keeps a group from becoming a closed off echo chamber
where ideation and innovation is stifled. A lack of diversity within the ranks of committers
and contributors shows potential weaknesses that we, as a community when considering why diversity
is valuable, should WANT to understand and consciously decide if it does represent a problem.

The ASF powers much of the software that makes the tech world turn. This alone is an awesome
responsibility and one that the community which supports the communities (comdev, namely)
has to be aware of. To me, the scope of our "work" becomes an amplification factor for the
importance of diversity.

I know I am mostly a lurker on these lists, but the diversity discussion is particularly near
and dear to some of us... especially those sensitive to the general lack of representation
of women in technology (which I'll point out the data shows to be our greatest disparity in
participation). As folks generally driven by data and hard facts, I guess I'd like to take
this opportunity to raise the REALLY hard questions. The numbers seem to indicate we do, indeed,
have some strong disparities (gender and race). Do we think this is a problem? If so, how
do we address it?
--
Daniel Ruggeri