community-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enhancing the Contributor's Experience: generic mailing lists
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 21:11:07 GMT
On 29 December 2016 at 15:34, Daniel Ruggeri <DRuggeri@primary.net> wrote:

> On 12/29/2016 5:57 AM, Gavin Mabie wrote:
>> would it not be advisable/preferable that the ASF ensures the best
>> contributor's experience possible by enabling wrongfully addressed
>> user@<whatever>.a.o.
>> mails get delivered to users@<whatever>.a.o. and wrongfully
>> users@<whatever>.a.o.
>> get delivered to user@<whatever>.a.o.?
>>

>> It seems to me that this is easy to implement by INFRA (though I don't know
>> the intricacies of the mailer deamon implemented).
>
> Big +1

Given that user and users both exist in different projects, I agree
that aliasing would make sense.

The only possible problem is that mail archives would also need to be aliased.

> Generally speaking, any mailer daemon worth using supports aliasing via
> trivial configurations. I'm sure there are many other aliases that would
> be reasonable to enable such as dev = devs, developer, developers and so
> forth...

However, AFAICT dev == dev; there is no devs.
No point adding unnecessary aliases; in fact I think that would be
counter-productive.
And what about commit/commits, issue/issues etc?