community-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Results: ASF Committer Diversity Survey
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 03:45:43 GMT

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 8:31 PM, Peter West <pbw@pbw.id.au> wrote:
>
> The ASF has free software, freely produced by anyone who wants to put his or her hand
up.  Talk about “diversity” is deeply divisive, and all of the BS that accompanies it
is the antithesis of freedom.  It is the impulse of petty totalitarians who are determined
to impose their views on others, and to marginalise and denigrate and demonise those who think…diversely.
Need I mention Brendan Eich here?

> So keep this stuff out of the ASF, please.  You are free to pursue whatever other (non-software)
obsessions you like in your own time, and those big software houses with their diversity departments
will accomodate you at work.

Confused by this viewpoint.  Here we have a set of statistics (thanks Sharon) that provides
insight into the types of people that participate.  If that info can then be put into use
and expands our committer base beyond the typical into the atypical we would then produce
more/better software.  What’s wrong with that?  I see only practical usages from this but
maybe I’m just being naive?

Shawn