community-dev mailing list archives

From Peter West <...@pbw.id.au>
Subject Re: Results: ASF Committer Diversity Survey
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2016 22:45:49 GMT
Why does the ASF give a tinker’s damn about diversity? Why are scarce resources being devoted
to it? Seriously.

—
Peter West
pbw@pbw.id.au
“I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”

> On 19 Dec 2016, at 11:36 pm, Sharan F <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone
>
> A big thank you to everyone that has helped or participated in getting the Committer
Diversity Survey out, and also to all the committers that responded to the survey. It has
been really good to be able to collect this information and see what it tells us about our
committer base.

> I've loaded the main data and graphs from the survey onto the Community Development wiki
(see link below)

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ASF+Committer+Diversity+Survey+-+2016
>
> In total we received 765 responses (out of a 5861 committer base at the time the survey
was run) so around a 13% response rate.

> We also got 111 feedback comments of which 29 did not give their permission to share
or from quote their comments.

> I've categorised all the comments into various themes / topics with the main ones as
follows:
> 	• Suggestions for improvements within the ASF
> 	• Suggestions for improvements to the survey (or any future ones)
> 	• Thanks / positive feedback about the ASF and/or survey
> 	• Feedback and ideas around diversity
> Next steps will be:
> 	• Continue to analyse the information and identify any potential Community Development
related actions
> 	• Start discussion threads on the various themes and topics raised to see if they
will result in additional actions