community-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proposal for a GSoC post-mortem survey
Date Wed, 07 Dec 2016 10:32:14 GMT
On 12/07/2016 11:29 AM, Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> On 07.12.16 10:26, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Hi Uli,
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@apache.org> wrote:
>>> ...I want to propose a post-mortem survey that
>>> hopefully captures a more complete picture....
>>
>> Instead of a survey, how about asking GsoC mentors to send a note here
>> about their GSoC success or failure story? We can send them your list
>> of questions as a guide, but IMO if we get stories that's more
>> powerful.
>>
>> We can also point them to our private list if they really have
>> sensitive stuff to report,
>
> I saw this as a middle ground between Rich's position of having easy to digest data and
mine aimed
> at getting a as complete as possible picture.
>
> Also I think that filling out a survey might appeal to more folks than writing up a lengthy
story.

I've been toying with the idea of comdev maybe providing a survey
mechanism for the wider ASF for various surveys (instead of relying on
3rd parties, also this would enable proper committer/PMC verification as
an option). This would be a great incentive to get started on that idea :)

We have a tiny pad where we've been writing down some basic ideas,
https://pad.apache.org/p/survey-ideas - more ideas are welcome!

With regards,
Daniel.