community-dev mailing list archives

From George Percivall <gperciv...@opengeospatial.org>
Subject Re: Results: ASF Committer Diversity Survey
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 03:02:19 GMT
Optimum software development is dependent upon requisite variety
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(cybernetics)#The_Law_of_Requisite_Variety <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(cybernetics)#The_Law_of_Requisite_Variety>
(Starting with Ashby 1956 and onward)

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 9:31 PM, Peter West <pbw@pbw.id.au> wrote:
>
> Ross,
>
> There are any number of ways to express your concerns about whatever, but the ASF is
about voluntary software.  Anyone can, and does write software that goes into ASF products.
 A big part of the attraction is the absence of all of the BS that accompanies working in
larger companies in the ways and on the projects that the companies determine.

> The ASF has free software, freely produced by anyone who wants to put his or her hand
up.  Talk about “diversity” is deeply divisive, and all of the BS that accompanies it
is the antithesis of freedom.  It is the impulse of petty totalitarians who are determined
to impose their views on others, and to marginalise and denigrate and demonise those who think…diversely.
Need I mention Brendan Eich here?

> So keep this stuff out of the ASF, please.  You are free to pursue whatever other (non-software)
obsessions you like in your own time, and those big software houses with their diversity departments
will accomodate you at work.

> Peter
>
>> On 20 Dec 2016, at 8:53 am, Ross Gardler <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> The ASF is a volunteer run organization. We have volunteers who care. They are volunteering
their scarce resources to help address an issue that many (myself included) feel is important.

recognize email senders at http://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification

>> Why does the ASF give a tinker’s damn about diversity? Why are scarce resources
being devoted to it? Seriously.

>> —
>> Peter West
>> pbw@pbw.id.au
>> “I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.”
>>
>>> On 19 Dec 2016, at 11:36 pm, Sharan F <sharan@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Everyone
>>>
>>> A big thank you to everyone that has helped or participated in getting the Committer
Diversity Survey out, and also to all the committers that responded to the survey. It has
been really good to be able to collect this information and see what it tells us about our
committer base.

>>> I've loaded the main data and graphs from the survey onto the Community Development
wiki (see link below)

>>> https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcwiki.apache.org%2Fconfluence%2Fdisplay%2FCOMDEV%2FASF%2BCommitter%2BDiversity%2BSurvey%2B-%2B2016&data=02%7C01%7CRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7Caa934e1c336845786ff508d42860d25e%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C1%7C0%7C636177843696193690&sdata=yQ9va4jFjLut0u64HpyzOkM0r8JycGjB7Wl7O7XHExE%3D&reserved=0
>>>
>>> In total we received 765 responses (out of a 5861 committer base at the time
the survey was run) so around a 13% response rate.

>>> We also got 111 feedback comments of which 29 did not give their permission to
share or from quote their comments.

>>> I've categorised all the comments into various themes / topics with the main
ones as follows:
>>>      • Suggestions for improvements within the ASF
>>>      • Suggestions for improvements to the survey (or any future ones)
>>>      • Thanks / positive feedback about the ASF and/or survey
>>>      • Feedback and ideas around diversity
>>> Next steps will be:
>>>      • Continue to analyse the information and identify any potential Community
Development related actions
>>>      • Start discussion threads on the various themes and topics raised to
see if they will result in additional actions
>>>      • Discuss feedback and diversity ideas and if necessary, integrate into
diversity strategy
>>> Thanks