community-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Xenophobia in the light of President-Elect Trump
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2016 14:43:36 GMT

> On Dec 29, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Gavin Mabie <kwikstore@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Should the community come out clearly rejecting the Trump xenophobic
> policies? Given the fact that community members comprise all cultures,
> religions and geographies?

Gavin,

I would say ‘no’ to the reject part because it serves to promote those ideals.  i.e. I
don’t care what they say about me as long as they talk about me.  On the other hand, it
wouldn’t hurt to send out a positive statement highlighting the fact that the ASF welcomes
all irrespective of race, nation, creed, ideology, gender, etc.  The difference being don’t
include the political figure or the negative statements.

My 2 cents.

Shawn