community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Draft Blog Post Re: Upcoming Committer Diversity Survey
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:35:10 GMT
Hi All

I've updated the proposed blog post to make this a ComDev initiative and the updated blog
link is here

https://blogs.apache.org/roller-ui/authoring/preview/comdev/?previewEntry=the_apache_community_development_team

Once again, for those without access to roller, I've included the updated text at the bottom
of this message.

Thanks
Sharan

----------------------------

The Apache Community Development Team Prepares to Send Out its First Diversity Survey

Over the next few weeks the Apache Community Development team will be sending out and running
its first ever Apache Software Foundation Committer Diversity Survey. The committer group
was selected because they are a significant number of people that are linked to every Apache
project.  (NOTE: The ASF currently has 5861 committers across 295 projects.)

Although there are many aspects to diversity including socio-economic, disability and education
etc which may be addressed in future surveys, this initial survey will focus on the three
broad areas of age, gender and ethnicity. It will also try to capture information about why
people contribute to Apache projects. To ensure the confidentiality and privacy of the respondents,
the survey will be anonymous and completely voluntary.

Why capture this information?
Many organisations are wanting to find out how effective they are at attracting a diverse
range of people. The Apache Software Foundation promotes open, community focussed projects
that are welcoming to all, yet have not collected any information to support this. This survey
will be an opportunity to capture this information.

The survey results will be used to generate consolidated and aggregated statistics for the
Apache Community Development team and the Apache Software Foundation. These details may be
published and made publicly available.

When will the survey results be published?
The survey will be run over a two week period and once complete an additional week will be
required to consolidate the responses into statistics. Survey results will be announced on
the committers and community development mailing lists.