community-dev mailing list archives

From "Sharan Foga"<sha...@apache.org>
Subject Encouraging Diversity - Update 6
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2016 20:58:43 GMT
Hi Everyone

It's been a while since my last update as I've been away. I'm now starting to pick things
up again so please see below for a brief update.

*Women in Big Data*
The WIBD group asked for a speaker to present to their members in the San Francisco area.
Kathy Saunders responded and this event is being called An Evening with the Apache Software
Foundation - “The Benefits of Being Open”

It has been changed from a presentation to a panel discussion made up of 3 female ASF committers.
The event will take place tomorrow 9th November 2016 and details can be found here.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-benefits-of-being-open-tickets-28846382306

Good luck with the event and I'll try and get some feedback on it as another event may be
planned if this one is successful.

*Dataworks Summit 2017*
I've had are request about the Dataworks Summit 2017 in Munich. Their CFP is open and they
are wanting to attract more women to this event so would like to encourage them to submit
speaking proposals.

The deadline for submissions is 11th November.

http://dataworkssummit.com/munich-2017/

*Hackbright Academy*
Luciano Resende kindly volunteered to do a presentation for the Hackbright Academy in San
Francisco. I don't think that this talk has been organised yet so am following up with them
about it.

*Committer Survey*
Thanks to everyone that has given me feedback, ideas and general comments on this. I now have
the final version of the survey prepared and ready to send out to the committers mailing list.
We are in the process of setting up some LDAP authentication to ensure that only committers
can access the survey weblink.

One of the main concerns about the survey was privacy so the survey itself will be completely
anonymous.

Almost all of the responses will be consolidated and reported as statistics, however there
is one question where the person taking the survey can give an opinion or enter comments.
As quotes can sometimes be very useful, (especially if we are seeing common themes), I have
added a section for the person to give their permission (or not) for us to quote their comments
from this question. We still won't know who the person is, only that we can quote them if
they say 'Yes'.

I'm hoping that the survey can go out this week. It will run for 2 weeks so we will be collecting
Based on this timing we are hoping to have the full set of results available by the end of
November.

*General Diversity Approach and Strategy*
I haven't had much time to update this on the wiki but once the committer survey is complete
I will be able to perhaps tailor it based on the results.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Diversity+Strategy+Ideas

I'm still interested in getting feedback and ideas from anyone about ways to develop the strategy
and actions we can take to help encourage diversity.

Please feel free to let me have any feedback, comments and ideas.

Thanks
Sharan