community-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Burch <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does GSoC help develop communities?
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 10:18:59 GMT
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Rich Bowen wrote:
> It would be great to have some kind of statistics on how GSoC helps
> projects longer term. Do students stick around? Does the code written
> actually get incorporated into releases? Does it in fact contribute to
> the mission of Community Development, or is it just a nice summer job
> for these students?

Do we have a list (maybe somewhere in the comdev private svn?) of everyone
who has taken part in GSoC?

If so, it'd be fairly easy to annotate that with apache IDs, then see
who's now on PMCs or who's now a member. Producing sharable statistics
from that automatically is then easy. (I say this as someone who helped
update the similar Travel Assistance Committee / TAC ones on Monday!)

Not sure if it's easy to find out the "last commit date" for people, to
check for the "still around" part (eg for people who got committership
during GSoc, maybe on a branch), but I know where infra are to ask...

Nick

PS FWIW, within Tika we've certainly had a few GSoC people stick around!