community-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Encouraging Diversity - Update 6
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2016 17:24:19 GMT
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote on 11/15/16 3:41 PM:
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> First, if you are not convinced, don't participate. All we ask is that
>> you don't actively prevent others from doing so.  Go Sharan and
>> others!
>
> +1.
>
> We have at least three ComDev PMC members who are interested in doing
> this work, so I'm glad to see it move forward.  General complaints don't
> help, and often harm.  Specific patches or changes with consensus behind
> them that help the work move forward would be appreciated.

Taking yours and Sam's "then don't participate"-style responses, one
might conclude that diversity is desirable only when folks are of like
mind, which kinda defeats the point.

The original feedback wasn't general complaints, it was a specific
question:  "what does feel safe mean?"  It's a reasonable question,
even if there was some over-use of hyperbole.  He ended with a
paragraph like, "now, if this is what you mean...I'm fine with it"  On
any other topic, I feel like most folks around here would assume
positive intent and try to understand the perspective.

Thanks,
--tim