community-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject On Codes of Conduct
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 23:53:43 GMT
So I just sort of boggled at an post that seemed to quote private
correspondence while making a CoC accusation, or at least that's
what I think I read. Many of us know the holidays for the airing of
grievances arrives in 2 months, but public archived email lists
really are simply not the place. We have an organizational policy
that anyone can approach any officer or board member to help
resolve personal conflict or violations of the CoC. With that said...

I'd like everyone on every side of the issue to take a moment to read
the thoughts of one of the most effective convention organizers and
another all around good friend, who together penned some thoughts
on the subject of how we creates codes of conduct, and how we use
or abuse them. Both are active within the SF community and have
tried to weather the recent storms in the Hugo Awards world which
took a dark turn into politics. These are their thoughts...

http://copious-free-time.org/ss-hs/the-shield-or-the-weapon/

I'm re-sharing this publicly on Facebook so we will all agree not
to pollute this list with a bunch of back-and-forth on the merits
of *their* thoughts (they are tagged and will follow that dialog,)
Here lies that thread;

https://www.facebook.com/wrowe/posts/10154815771416929?pnref=story

If you have an *actionable* and *productive* suggestion for the *ASF*
please present it, but let's not let this list become that cesspool
for endlessly debating the subject,

individual comments or the entire thread on FB may be shut down
without prior notice, if individuals can't keep it civil.

Yours,

Bill